Monday, March 22, 2010

Things I Do when Insomnia Keeps Me Awake

Since I was at school, I tend tire myself out before coming back home. In that way, I won't be wide awake like an owl later at night. It's horrible, really, to have to be awake when everyone else is snoozing (I even envy the ones who snores). At 15, I was really convinced I'm an insomniac..not that I confirmed it from the doctors or something. But it happens most of the time that - trust me - you'd end up with same conclusion as well.

I've been wondering what causes insomnia and some sites say it's from stress, depression and some hormonal changes (for women)..and some say because of jet lag, genes, or worse, you temporarily stop breathing while you're sleeping. Wow, that last one freaked me out! *goosebumps* What if you don't breathe the rest of your sleep? (of course, you'd die, I know..it's a rhetorical question alright.) I guess, it was from stress, in my case, from my family's whole moving here and there thing. Thus, I was actually an insomniac, in a way.

And so I tried and tried things to sleep. It's like a good curse at the same time, you know. I get to do things I can't do when my parents are up or even my siblings. I get to a.) watch my choice of TV channel (though, I have to lower the volume and keep an eye on my parents's door every time), b.) eat (this is where "midnight snack" came into my system), c.) write on my journal (which I apparently, substituted with blogging now) and d.) of course, reading. I remember, reading to sleep since I was 15 using only the glow of my phone because I can't turn on the lights, made me short-sighted so early, unfortunately. But it was all worth it because among all things I do to sleep, reading is the best! Can imagine reading the most boring old English books on earth and I swear, you'd drop dead in no time!

Now, my whole "I-can't-sleep" drama is actually my choice. I mean, only studies can keep me yawning but the rest of activities are just too tempting to sleep on, like talking and talking till the sun's up, I didn't even how we could stand talking late at night but it was fun. I was with Nayzar in our study room, once, when my spoon on the bowl was tilted with the unusual "ting!" sound when it was impossible to be moved by not even the wind. We immediately suspected it was a ghost. I mean, seriously, we were the only pair in the room freakishly awake at that time. Who else would do a practical joke on us? We were so scared; we slept on the same bed that night - well, morning, actually.

Loads of things happen when I can't sleep or sometimes, I don't wanna sleep. But it can wait. For now, let me sleep. See you again, Insomnia! :)

No comments: